Even the AfDB President will not fault the conclusion of the Board as he does know the implications of going against the wishes of the U.S Treasury.
His meeting with Nigerian President would have fixed his problems, but unfortunately, Nigeria is a spoke in the wheel of global banking – and the U.S. owns the whole wheel.
I had commented on that Mr. Buhari meeting thus: “President Buhari makes his support to Akinwumi Adesina, African Development Bank (AfDB) president, evidently public. Ideally, that should do it for the AfDB President on the allegations leveled against him”. But America has different ideas.
Now, game on, this may be the best outcome for Adesina. If an independent attorney clears him, he would be cleared indeed!
And those African ex-presidents who wrote that letter, making a case against an independent attorney, should now understand how their lack of visioning has denigrated the standing of Africa in the global arena. The African Development Bank is a cash center for the United States in Africa, not even a full bank branch!
The full statement
Communique of the Bureau of the Boards of Governors of The African Development Bank Group following its Meeting of 4th June 2020 regarding the whistle-blowers’ complaint against the President of the Bank
- The Bureau reiterates that it agrees that the Ethics Committee of the Boards of Directors performed its role on this matter in accordance with the applicable rule under Resolution B/BG/2008/11 of the Board of Governors.
- b)The Bureau also reiterates that the Chairperson of the Bureau of the Board of Governors performed her role in accepting the findings of the Ethics Committee in accordance with the said Resolution.
- c)However, based on the views of some Governors on the matter and the need to carry every Governor along in resolving it, the Bureau agrees to authorize an Independent Review of the Report of the Ethics Committee of the Boards of Directors relative to the allegations considered by the Ethics Committee and the submissions made by the President of the Bank Group thereto in the interest of due process.
- d)The Independent Review shall be conducted by a neutral high caliber individual with unquestionable experience, high international reputation and integrity within a short time period of not more than two to four weeks maximum, taking the Bank Group’s electoral calendar into account.
- The Bureau agrees that, within a three to six month period and following the independent review of the Ethics Committee Report, an independent comprehensive review of the implementation of the Bank Group’s Whistle-Blowing and Complaints Handling Policy should be conducted with a view to ensuring that the Policy is properly implemented, and revising it where necessary, to avoid situations of this nature in the futur